Eileen has five tips for leaders interested in taking a troop trip:
- Remember, this trip is for the girls. Get and keep them involved in every step of the planning process.
- After making plan A... make plans B, C and D.
- Do your research: Learn as much in advance of your travel destination. Know the customs, language, currency, dress code, transportation and food options, to list a few.
- Learn to pack light. Know it’s okay to re-wear your clothing and practice packing before you go.
- Be flexible and most of all have fun!
Resources such as Guide to U.S. Travel, Road to Global Travel, and Global Travel Tool Kit all provide insightful information and are available on the GSUSA website. On a more local level, consult with your service unit volunteer support team, look through the GSCCC magazine for travel opportunities, and network with other adult volunteers and troops who have previously traveled.